Frequently Asked Questions


What Are the Different Types of Nonimmigrant Visas?
Common types include tourist visas (B-2 in the USA), business visas (B-1 in the USA), student visas (F-1 in the USA), investor visas (like the E2 in the USA), and work visas (like the H-1B in the USA).
How Long Can I Stay on a Nonimmigrant Visa?
The duration of stay varies by visa type and country. Some visas are issued for a few days or weeks, while others can be valid for several years but may require periodic renewals.
Can I Work on a Nonimmigrant Visa?
It depends on the visa type. Work visas allow employment, but tourist or visitor visas typically do not.
What Happens if My Nonimmigrant Visa Expires?
Staying beyond the expiration of a visa can lead to legal penalties, including fines and deportation, and can affect your ability to obtain visas in the future.
Can I Bring Family Members on a Nonimmigrant Visa?
Some visa types allow you to bring dependents (like a spouse or children), but they may need to apply for their own visas.
Can I Study on a Nonimmigrant Visa?
Student visas are specifically for studying, but other visa types may not permit enrollment in a formal education program.
What Happens if My Visa Application is Denied?
You can usually reapply or appeal the decision, but it’s important to understand the reason for denial before doing so.
How Much Does a Nonimmigrant Visa Cost?
Visa application fees vary by country and visa type. There might also be additional costs for processing or interview appointments.
Is Health Insurance Required for a Nonimmigrant Visa?
Some countries may require you to have health insurance coverage for the duration of your stay. It’s essential to check the specific requirements of the country you are visiting.
What Are the Requirements for a Nonimmigrant Visa?
Common requirements include a valid passport, proof of financial means to cover your stay, a return ticket (for some visa types), and sometimes a letter of invitation or purpose of travel.
Can I Change My Visa Status While in the Country?
In some cases, you can apply to change your visa status (e.g., from a tourist visa to a student visa), but this is subject to approval and specific regulations of the host country.
Do I Need a Visa If I'm Transiting Through a Country?
Some countries require a transit visa even if you’re only passing through the airport. Always check the visa requirements for your entire travel itinerary.
What Should I Do if My Visa Is Lost or Stolen?
Report the loss/theft to the local police and contact your country’s embassy or consulate for guidance on getting a replacement.
Can I Visit Multiple Countries on a Single Nonimmigrant Visa?
This depends on the visa and the countries involved. Some regions, like the Schengen Area in Europe, allow travel to multiple countries on a single visa.
Are Nonimmigrant Visa Applications Confidential?
Yes, the information provided in visa applications is typically treated as confidential by the issuing authority.
What Can Lead to a Nonimmigrant Visa Denial?
Common reasons include incomplete applications, lack of sufficient financial means, previous immigration violations, or security concerns.
How Can I Prove My Intent to Return Home?
Evidence can include job commitments, family ties, property ownership, or other significant connections to your home country.
What Is the Visa Waiver Program?
The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of participating countries to travel to some countries for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa.

Experienced Attorneys Supporting Immigration Services

If you’re looking for a way to connect with a law firm, scheduling a call may be the best option for you. You can talk to a representative about your specific legal needs, and you can get an idea of what the process of hiring a lawyer might look like. Plus, by scheduling a call, you can avoid any potential surprises or delays in the process.