Understanding Employment Authorization: A Comprehensive Guide

Employment authorization is a pivotal aspect of the U.S. workforce, especially for non-citizens seeking to work legally in the country. It involves obtaining an Employment Authorization Card (EAD), which is issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and is essential for students, asylum seekers, and various visa holders. Legal experts, such as those at Root Law Group, emphasize the importance of accurately navigating this process, staying informed about changing immigration policies and ensuring proper documentation to maintain legal work status in the U.S.

The US Employment Authorization Card (EAD)

The U.S. Employment Authorization Card, commonly known as the EAD, is a document issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It grants non-citizens the right to work in the U.S. for a specific period and is crucial for individuals who are not permanent residents or citizens but wish to engage in employment in the U.S. Furthermore, the card is particularly important for various categories of immigrants, including investors and their spouses on E2 Visas, those pursuing optional practical training while in school, asylum seekers, and spouses of certain visa holders. Possession of an EAD is often a critical step toward financial independence and integration into the U.S. labor market for these individuals. The application process involves submitting Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, along with required documentation and fees.

Employment Authorization Number

Role and Importance

Each EAD comes with an employment authorization number, a unique identifier assigned to the applicant. This number is crucial for employers as it assists in verifying the work eligibility of their employees. It is also used by individuals to track their application status and is a key reference in all communications with USCIS.

Where to Find It

The employment authorization number can be found on the EAD card itself, typically labeled as the USCIS number. It is essential for individuals to keep this number secure and handy for employment-related purposes.

I-765 Application for Employment Authorization

The Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization is the primary document used to request an EAD. The form requires detailed information about the applicant, including their eligibility category. Applicants must accurately complete all sections of the form, attach the necessary supporting documents, and pay the applicable fee. The form can be submitted either online or through mail, depending on the applicant’s preference and eligibility category.

The I-765 Application Process

Step-by-Step Guide

  • Determine Eligibility: Understand if you fall into one of the USCIS-eligible categories for an EAD.
  • Complete the Form: Fill out the I-765 form with accurate personal and eligibility information.
  • Gather Documentation: Collect all required documents, such as proof of identity and eligibility category.
  • Pay the Fee: Ensure payment of the correct application fee, if required.
  • Submit the Application: Send the application and documents to the appropriate USCIS address or file online.
  • Track Your Application: Use the employment authorization number to track the status of your application.

Processing Time and Renewals

The processing time for an I-765 application varies based on several factors, including the applicant’s eligibility category and the workload of USCIS. It is crucial for applicants to apply for renewal well in advance of the expiry of their current EAD, as delays in processing can lead to lapses in employment authorization.

A Vital Component of the Workforce

Employment authorization plays an important role in the workforce, especially for non-citizens who are looking to find employment opportunities in the United States. With the guidance of experts like Root Law Group, understanding the complexities of the Employment Authorization Document (EAD), the unique employment authorization number, and the detailed intricacies of the Form I-765 application process becomes more manageable. Such expert assistance is invaluable in navigating these elements effectively, enabling applicants to secure the legal right to work in the U.S. and contribute to its diverse and dynamic labor market.



Root Law Group
Based on 97 reviews
powered by Google
Alexey PankinAlexey Pankin
04:44 04 Dec 23
I recently had the pleasure of working with the incredible lawyers at Root Law Group, notably Daria. From my initial consultation until the successful resolution of my case, their expertise, professionalism, and dedication made a profound impact.
Zara IsmailovaZara Ismailova
14:11 30 Nov 23
Mihran StepanyanMihran Stepanyan
19:09 14 Nov 23
Working with this highly professional team made difficult and long process of applying for EB-1 GreenCard easy, clear and fast. I felt calm and confidently on every step. I really appreciate all the hard work and patience that Khaled Kaoud shared while working with me. He was always available and answered every possible question that I ever had. Also thanks to Igor, William and Daria for help and support during the working on my case. Working with Root Law Group was the best decision I did. And I undoubtedly recommend this professional, reliable and perfect team!
Georgi GrigoryanGeorgi Grigoryan
22:31 07 Nov 23
I am a business owner and operator abroad and I came to Root Law Group looking for immigration help. They told me that I was able to apply for EB2-NIW and they worked on my case nonstop. Even when USCIS requested more evidence, Daniel guided me throughout the entire process and helped ease my worries and concerns was an extremely helpful paralegal. After months of waiting, I was granted the I-140 Approval! I am extremely thankful for all the work Root Law did for me and super excited for adjustment of status when I become current. I look forward to working with Daniel, William and the entire team when that time comes and highly recommend their immigration services! This team cares and will try everything possible for your needs.
grigory ioffegrigory ioffe
18:05 01 Nov 23
I recently received approval for my visa application and would like to express my gratitude to Root Law, especially Igor for his excellent management, and Khaled for his legal assistance and guiding through the whole process.I want to acknowledge that despite several other lawyers suggesting that I had no chance of obtaining the visa, these professionals made it possible.
Artyom DavtyanArtyom Davtyan
23:21 20 Oct 23
Root Law's team is great, they did our case in just two months.Especially Igor and Khaled, thanks guys for the professionalism, care and dedication to your work. You studies every detail of the case and due to it it was done quickly.Will advise Root Law to my friends and relatives for sure
Melanie HusryMelanie Husry
01:32 28 Sep 23
After seeing such amazing reviews on Root Law Group I just knew I had to work with them. All the attorneys here are amazing and so helpful. I’m so happy with myexperience and for anyone looking for fast and helpful attorneys this is your place! Thank you so much for your patience with me Root Law Group it was a pleasure being your client!

Experienced Attorneys Supporting Immigration Services

If you’re looking for a way to connect with a law firm, scheduling a call may be the best option for you. You can talk to a representative about your specific legal needs, and you can get an idea of what the process of hiring a lawyer might look like. Plus, by scheduling a call, you can avoid any potential surprises or delays in the process.