The Biden administration will restart a contentious Trump-era border program that forces asylum seekers to wait in Mexico for U.S. immigration hearings.
The policy was first implemented in 2019 by former President Donald Trump amid an increase in Central American families crossing the southwest border.
President Joe Biden suspended the policy on his first day in office. However, later the Biden’s administration was ordered by the court to reinstate the policy pending the outcome of the lawsuit filed by the Republican-led states of Texas and Missouri.
The U.S. government said it had to wait for Mexico’s agreement before restarting the policy. Since then, the U.S. has been coordinating with the Mexican government over how to reinstate the controversial program.
Latest updates on the issue
- The Biden administration said it struck a deal with the Mexican government to reinstate a Trump-era border policy that forces asylum seekers to stay in that country until their U.S. immigration court date.
- The program will restart at one border location on Monday and will eventually involve seven entry points, including San Diego and the Texas cities of Laredo, El Paso and Brownsville.
- “Key changes” will be made to the policy to address humanitarian concerns raised by both the Mexican and U.S. government.