J-1 Visa Trainee Programs are designed to allow foreign professionals to gain exposure to U.S. culture and to receive training in U.S. business practices in their chose occupational field.
The Occupational Categories available for J-1 Trainee Program include:
- Arts and Culture
- Education, Social Sciences, Library Science, Counseling and Social Services
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Information Media and Communications
- Management, Business, Commerce and Finance
- Public Administration and Law
- The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations
In order to be eligible for J-1 Trainee Program a foreign national must hold a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and have at least one year of prior related work experience in his or her occupational field outside the U.S.
Alternatively, a foreign national must possess five years of work experience outside the U.S. in the occupational field in which they are seeking training.
The maximum duration for the trainee program is 18 months, except for the following restrictions:
- Agriculture Programs: maximum 12 months.
- Hospitality Programs: maximum 12 months. Any program longer than six months must have at least three departmental rotations.
Immihelp | J-1 Visa Trainee Program
U.S. Department of State Programs | J-1 Visa